GPS Azores: Geographical and Political Scenarios in Maritime Spatial Planning for the Azores and North Atlantic
Açores 2020. Programa Operacional FEDER FSE. Governo dos Açores. Portugal 2020. EU Union through the European Structural and Investment Funds.
GPS Azores Project will contribute to fill a knowledge gap on maritime existing and potential uses; on conflicts “uses-uses”‖ and “uses-environment”‖, and on existing and potential and on Best Sustainable Development Scenarios for Maritime Spatial Planning.
Focusing on the Azores and the North Atlantic, the project will:
i. provide detailed diagnosis of implemented maritime governance and its legal and political framework;
ii. develop a first approach in which the spatial components of marine governance are identified;
iii. identify uses, conflicts and possible development scenarios; and support a MSP proposal for the Azores
In light of the EU’s IMP, maritime spatial plans will be integrated in order to:
(i) define and establish maritime geopolitical scenarios, considered to be of strategic interest;
(ii) develop an information platform to back up maritime policy through a ―Map Viewer Platform. Determination of geo and political maritime scenarios is a tool which gives visibility to a territory (the ocean) where policy actions operate with a high strategic value. Scenarios building will be achieved by using the intuitive logics Method that has proven to be suitable in strategic and political scenarios.
The project is divided into 5 Work Packages:
WP1- Legal Framework
WP2 – Geopolitical Framework –Macaronesia
WP3 – Azorean Scenarios and MSP
WP4 – Strategic Assessment
WP5 – Map Viewer
- University of the Azores / Universidade dos Açores- Promotor (PT)
- The Gaspar Frutuoso Foundation / Fundação Gaspar Frutuoso (FGF) – Promotor (PT)
- Seascape Consultants Ltd - Participating Entity ()
- Faculty of Social and Human Sciences of the NOVA University of Lisbon / Faculdade de Ciências Sociais e Humanas da Universidade Nova de Lisboa (FCSHUNL) - Participating Entity (PT)
- University of Seville / Universidad de Sevilla (US) – Participating Entity (ES)
- Faculty of Sciences of the University of Lisbon / Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa - Participating Entity (PT)
- DDDD Productions Enterprise - Participating Entity (PT)