Baltic Sea Management - Nature Conservation and Sustainable Development of the Ecosystem through Spatial Planning
INTERREG III B: Baltic Sea Region Programme 2000 - 2006
BALANCE aimed towards development of informed marine management tools for the Baltic Sea based on spatial planning and cross-sectoral and transnational co-operation.
BALANCE inter alia aimed to:
- Develop transnational marine spatial planning tools and an agreed template for marine management planning and decision-making;
- Develop the "blue corridor" concept and promote "blue corridors" between protected sites adding spatial development dimensions to the implementation of EC Directives;
- Assess if the Baltic marine Natura 2000 network was ecological coherent and adequately represents & protects a continuum of habitats;
- Develop a communication strategy for stakeholder involvement to ensure that objectives and decisions address local stakeholders needs and that products is used and understood by the end of project;
- Enhance awareness of the marine natural heritage and the benefits of sustainable resource use.
BALANCE in particular:
- Identified and collated relevant and available marine data in the Baltic Sea, Kattegat and Skagerrak area.
- Defined Baltic Sea marine landscapes and developed habitat maps, the latter in 4 pilot areas.
- Assessed the existing Baltic Sea Marine Protected Areas network and developed a "blue corridor" concept.
- Developed Baltic marine zoning plans in 2 pilot areas (pilot area 2 and 3).
- Danish Forest and Nature Agency (DK) – Lead Partner
- DHI – Water and Environment (DK)
- Geological Survey of Denmark and Greenland (DK)
- National Environmental Research Institute
- Danish Institute for Fisheries Research, Department of Sea Fisheries (DK)
- WWF Denmark (DK)
- Estonian Maritime Institute, University of Tartu (EE)
- Metsähallitus Natural Heritage Service (FI)
- Finnish Environment Institute (FI)
- Geological Survey of Finland (FI)
- WWF Finland (FI)
- WWF Germany (DE)
- Institute of Aquatic Ecology, University of Latvia (LV)
- Coastal Research and Planning Institute (LT)
- Swedish Environmental Protection Agency (SE)
- National Board of Fisheries (SE)
- Geological Survey of Sweden (SE)
- WWF Sweden (SE)
- County Administrative Board of Stockholm (SE)
- Department of Marine Ecology, Gothenburg University (SE)
- Leibniz Institute of Marine Sciences (DE)
- Finnish Game amd Fisheries Research Institute (DE)
- The Geological Survey of Norway (NO)
- The Norwegian Institute of Water Research (NO)
- Polish Sea Fisheries Institute
- University of California