Autonomous underwater Robotic and sensing systems for Cultural Heritage discovery Conservation and in situ valorisation
EC contribution: € 496.652
The ARCHEOSUb project (Autonomous underwater Robotic and sensing systems for Cultural Heritage discovery Conservation and in situ valorisation) is set up with the purpose of developing products and services to support the discovery of new underwater cultural heritage sites (UCH). It also supports the survey, conservation, protection and enhancement of new and existing sites.
A network of underwater sensors will ensure real-time monitoring on site; the communication of multimedia data will be among the outcomes of this project. The system will also provide location services for divers equipped with modems and underwater tablets with information on the CHU site for a more immersive visitor experience.
The project activities will be carried out by the Blue Lab team, a team built on the skills of young scientists, particularly postgraduates, and on the experience of consultants with extensive knowledge of research, business development and project teamwork of the highest quality.
- A low cost, high performance AUV supporting archaeologists during all steps of a typical campaign.
- A simple yet highly accurate acoustic localization system for AUV and divers navigation. The approach will overcome current expensive sensors and methods for vehicle positioning, while providing accurate geo-referencing of archaeological targets of interest.
- Innovative low computational complexity image and video algorithms for acoustic real-time transmission of AUV site acquisitions and of data from underwater cameras.
- A user-friendly graphical user interfaces and powerful software for the control of the underwater system (AUV and network nodes), to ease the access of the archaeologists to the developed technologies.
- Services for the valorisation of UCH sites with itineraries for divers.
- WSense Srl (Coordinator) (IT);
- University of Rome “La Sapienza” (IT);
- MDM Team Srl (IT);
- Department of Industrial Engineering Florence (DIEF) (IT).