Archaeological management policies
Sixth Framework Programme, Area 3.6 “The protection of cultural heritage and associated conservation Strategies”
EUR 480 000
The objective of ARCHAEOMAP is to develop balanced, interrelated policies with an integrated coastal zone management focus. It aims at protecting environmental resources and bio-cultural diversity, while supporting socio-economic development trough cultural tourism.
ARCHAEOMAP proposed an interdisciplinary research agenda and capacity building aiming at improving the relationship of Mediterranean people with their marine environment. Its targets were the ecological, social and economic dimensions of maritime culture loss and the reduction of this loss. It used its network of pilot sites as vehicles for knowledge sharing, research and monitoring, education and training, and participatory decision-making. ARCHAEOMAP wanted to provide context-specific opportunities to combine scientific knowledge and governance modalities in an inter-disciplinary methodology.
In its International Committee setting, ARCHAEOMAP encouraged an interdisciplinary methodology focusing on research in natural sciences and social sciences, and demonstration and training activities involving questions of natural and cultural resource management. ARCHAEOMAP took an active interest in sustainable development, putting the accent on conservation and the rational utilisation of coastal zone resources.
With the background of interdisciplinary and interculturality inherent to UNESCO scientific coordination, the ARCHAEOMAP International Committee encouraged scientific research and the collection of information but never ignored traditional knowledge of maritime resource management. ARCHAEOMAP promoted its large-scale marine pilot sites network in Mediterranean encouraging its transboundary and serial nominations to the UNESCO World Heritage List.
ARCHEOMAP could facilitate MSP through the identification of bio-cultural underwater sites. In addition, the project took a multi-dimensional approach to the analysis of relevant sites, hence integrating protection of the environment and cultural tourism within the same space.
- United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization
- Pro Arsenale Borbonico di Palermo Onlus e Aree Museali Circostanti
- Consorzio Universitario per l'Ateneo della Sicilia Occidentale e il Bacino del Mediterraneo'
- International Institute for the Study of Man for the Mediterranean Area
- Association pour la Sauvegarde du Patrimoine Maritime de Villefranche sur Mer
- Liaisons Méditerranéennes
- Universita Telematica Internazionale non Statale Uninettuno[DZ3]
- Archaeological Museum of Florina
- Supreme Council of Antiquities
- Museu d'Arqueologia de Catalunya
- Fondazione Athena per lo Sviluppo
- Associazione Archeo-Antropologica Approfondimenti Interdisciplinari Operativi
- Centre National de la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS)
- Groupe de Recherche en Archéologie Navale
- Fondazzjoni Wirt Artna