La ricerca italiana per il mare
RITMARE Flagship Project is one of the National Research Programmes funded by the Italian Ministry of University and Research.
The overall project budget amounts to 250 million euros, co-funded by public and private resources. The overall budget funds 7 large sub-projects.
RITMARE is the leading Italian national marine research project for the period 2012-2016. The project has been structured around three key objectives:
- Support integrated policies for the safeguard of the environment (the health of the sea);
- Enable sustainable use of resources (the sea as a system of production);
- Implement a strategy of prevention and mitigation of natural impacts (the sea as a risk factor).
RITMARE is divided into 7 sub-projects: (SP1) Maritime Technologies; (SP2) Technologies for Sustainable Fishing; (SP3) Planning of the Maritime Space in Coastal Waters; (SP4) Planning of the Deep Marine Environment and the Open Sea; (SP5) Observation System for the Marine Mediterranean Environment; (SP6) Research, Training and Dissemination Structures; (SP7) Interoperable Infrastructure for the Observation Network and Marine Data.
Sub-project SP3 envisages the development of multiple technologies and tools designed to achieve effective planning of the maritime space and sustainable management of coastal waters. A specific action (WP5) within this sub-project aims at ensuring the integration, enhancement and direct transfer to decision-makers and operators of research activities outcomes gained in SP3, to support policies and management processes regarding Italian coastal areas and maritime space.
RITMARE is coordinated by the National Research Council - CNR and involves an integrated effort of most of the scientific community working on marine and maritime issues, as well as some major industrial groups. Besides CNR, major partners are:
- INGV - National Institute of Geophysics and Volcanology
- CONISMA - National Inter-university Consortium for Marine Sciences
- ENEA – Italian National Agency for New Technology, Energy and Sustainable Economic Development
- OGS - National Institute of Oceanography and Experimental Geophysics
- Stazione Zoologica Anton Dohrn
- CINFAI - National Inter-university Consortium for Physics of Atmosphere and Hydrosphere