Cooperation for ecosystem based planning of the marine environment using GIS
Interreg IV A Botnia Atlantica 2007-2013
The main aim of SeaGIS is to improve the knowledge for and about MSP and make it more accessible in order to increase the possibilities of ecosystem based regional planning of marine areas and to create a common platform for knowledge storing, planning and future decision making in the northern Quark region.
End-users are national and regional environmental and landsea planning authorities, regional councils and municipalities on both sides of the Kvarken strait. Public bodies and general public have access to internet based multilingual knowledge platform, in which most available data concerning the environment, infrastructure and economic will be presented.
The project aimed to:
- Analyse the interest for MSP on a local level in Finland and Sweden
- Analyse the organizational and legal processes in the current governance of the sea in Finland and Sweden
- Develop a transregional GIS-based knowledge platform for storing of data and analyzing different marine planning situations
- Implement pilot-tests on different planning scenarios and scales of the developed GIS-based knowledge platform
A follow-up project to the SeaGIS project, SeaGIS 2.0, is currently being implemented (2015-2018).
- Centre for Economic Development, Transport and the Environment in Southern Ostrobothnia – Lead partner (FI)
- County Administrative Board of Västerbotten (SE)
- Metsähallitus (FI)
- Åbo Akademi (FI)
- University of Vaasa (FI)
- Umeå University (SE)