The maritime sector is dependent on a living, healthy marine environment. To develop the maritime sector further, a strategy is needed that brings together all players around a set of objectives and a vision of the direction that development will take. Region Västra Götaland has taken upon itself the task of drawing up a maritime strategy together with all the stakeholders concerned in the region.
Questions this practice may help answer
- What are the most important elements to further develop the maritime industry in the Swedish Region Västra Götaland?
- Which concrete measures can be taken to develop the maritime industry.
To develop the maritime sector further, a strategy is needed that brings together all players around a set of objectives and a vision of the direction that development will take. The strategy is based on a vision for the maritime sector in Västra Götaland inspired by the work being done by our neighbours: “A common course for Blue West: Västra Götaland shall be one of Europe’s leading maritime regions with solutions focused on innovation and environmentally compatible growth”.
Aspects / Objectives
To develop the maritime sector by creating a strategy which serves as a living document for taking concrete measures.
The Region Västra Götaland has taken upon itself the task of drawing up a maritime strategy together with all the stakeholders concerned in the region, not least the maritime industry.
Information and knowledge about the maritime strategy is disseminated continuously in Västra Götaland. The intention is that the objectives will lead to activities in the sectors, geographical areas and municipalities concerned. The strategy assumes that initiatives for collaborations and projects will be taken by, for example, local government associations, local authorities, professional associations, company clusters, networks of stakeholders, institutions of higher education and R&D institutes.
Main Outputs / Results
The report, which contains the strategy, consists of 13 strategic main strategic elements of several concrete actions. The strategic activities are:
- Sustainable growth through prioritising shipping and logistics
- Preserve marine biodiversity and the marine ecosystems’ status
- Monitor and analyse the condition of the marine environment and initiate improvement measures
- Recruitment of new generations to the maritime sector
- Exploit the potential for clean and safe maritime transport
- Strengthen the development of maritime suppliers and the boating industry
- Sustainable fishery through stronger focus on quality, environmental objectives and cluster collaboration
- Improve knowledge of the sea, strengthen research and translate maritime opportunities into sustainable growth and development
- Realise opportunities for offshore production of renewable energy
- Measure the climate effects in the maritime and coastal environments
- Develop sustainable coastal tourism and the marine experience industry
- Efficiency and collaboration in the boating industry
- Preserve and develop Västra Götaland’s maritime identity
The strategy refers to the Swedish region of Västra Götaland. The transferability is therefor low. However, the development of the document shows how to cooperate wit the Maritime industry in writing a strategy. Furthermore, it provides an overview of the main issues are relevant for the Maritime industry, which can also be relevant the maritime industry in other regions.
Costs / Funding Source
Region Västra Götaland has funded the development of the strategy.