Plan4Blue - Maritime Spatial Planning for Sustainable Blue Economies
EU / ERDF / Interreg Central Baltic
Plan4Blue supports growth of the marine and maritime sectors in a way that emphasizes the need to find a balance between economic, social and environmental goals.
The project activities focus on Gulf of Finland and Archipelago Sea areas covering sea areas of Estonia and Finland. Planning and management of these sea areas requires cross-border collaboration between stakeholders and authorities, because many of the economic activities in the area cross borders and have cross-border impacts. For this purpose, the project develops cross-border capacity in maritime spatial planning.
- Agreements on cross-border Maritime Spatial Planning objectives, planning options and a framework for continuous collaboration
- Blue Economy scenarios
- Spatial analysis of potentials and risks of Blue Economy
- Guidelines for multidisciplinary analyses and stakeholder process to support Maritime Spatial Planning
Presentations and posters on main outputs were also shared at the project Final Conference on 4 - 5 June 2019 in Helsinki. Several main outputs have also been incorporated into the EU MSP Platform Practices Database - please see links in the left-hand column under Practices.
Furthermore, final recommendations for maritime spatial planning for sustainable blue economies were produced in September 2019.
Potential for Sustainable Blue Economies (Work Package 1)
Environmental management (Work Package 2)
Spatial analysis of socioeconomic-environmental interactions (Work Package 3)
Maritime Spatial Planning Options (Work Package 4)
- Finnish Environment Institute (Environmental Policy Centre, Marine Research Centre and Communications Unit)
- University of Tartu (Estonian Marine Institute and School of Economics and Business Administration)
- University of Turku (Centre for Maritime Studies, Turku School of Economics, Department of Geography and Geology)
- Helsinki-Uusimaa Regional Council
- Regional Council of Southwest Finland
- Baltic Environment Forum Estonia
- The Ministry of Finance, Estonia
- Harju County administration, Estonia
- Ida-Viru County administration, Estonia
- Lääne-Viru County administration, Estonia