Interreg V-B “Mediterranean” (MED) 2014-2020
In the period 2014-2020, Interreg MED Programme will promote cooperation between a varied typology of actors of these thirteen Mediterranean countries. The programme aims at optimizing existing results achieved in the previous period as well as facilitating new cooperation frameworks for all partners situated in the Programme cooperation area.
Accordingly, Interreg MED Programme establishes the following key cooperation principles aiming at consolidating the character of future projects and their related activities.
· Thematic concentration
· Territorial relevance
Four priority axes are identified:
· PRIORITY AXIS 1: INNOVATION: Promoting Mediterranean innovation capacities to develop smart and sustainable growth
· PRIORITY AXIS 2: LOW CARBON ECONOMY: Fostering low carbon strategies and energy efficiency in specific MED territories: cities, islands and remote areas.
· PRIORITY AXIS 3: NATURAL & CULTURAL RESOURCES: Protecting and promoting Mediterranean natural and cultural resources.
· PRIORITY AXIS 4: GOVERNANCE: Enhancing Mediterranean governance.
MSP and ICM are relevant tools for natural and cultural resources conservation and management, related with objectives of Priority Axis 3. Implementation of MSP and ICM can be also included under actions promoting Mediterranean governance, according to the objectives of priority Axis 4.
The Interreg MED architecture is composed of three typologies of projects: Modular projects and Horizontal projects for Axes 1, 2 and 3, and Platform projects for Axis 4. Description of these types of projects can be found in the programme manual: https://interreg-med.eu/documents-tools/programme-manual/
The First call for Modular projects proposals was opened from September to November 2015. The Steering Committee approved sixty- projects by the end of 2016.
The second call for Modular project proposals will open on 30th January 2017 and close on 31 March 2017. The call will be restricted on different levels (type of projects, specific objectives).
Eligible applicants are entities base in one of the 57 regions identifying the program area. These regions belongs to 10 EU Member States and 3 IPA countries. Eligible regions are as follows:
EU Member States
- Croatia: the entire country
- Cyprus: the entire country
- France: 5 regions – Corse, Languedoc-Roussillon, Midi-Pyrénées, Provence Alpes Côte d’Azur, Rhône-Alpes
- Greece: the entire country
- Italy: 19 regions : Abruzzo, Apulia, Basilicata, Calabria, Campania, Emilia-Romagna, Friuli-Venezia Giulia, Lazio, Liguria, Lombardy, Marche, Molise, Piedmonte, Sardinia, Sicily, Tuscany, Umbria, Valle D’Aoste, Veneto
- Malta: the entire country
- Portugal: 3 régions: Algarve, Alentejo, Lisbonne
- Slovenia: the entire country
- Spain : 6 autonomous regions – Andalusia, Aragon, Catalonia, Balearic islands, Murcia, Valencia – and the two autonomous cities – Ceuta and Melilla
- United-Kingdom: 1 region of the economic Programme – Gibraltar
Participating with the European funds of IPA:
- Albania: the entire country
- Bosnia-Herzegovina: the entire country
- Montenegro: the entire country
Eligible applicants are:
- National, regional and local public bodies (including EGTCs in the meaning of Article 2(16) of Regulation (EU) No 1303/2013);
- Private institutions, including private companies, having legal personality;
- International organisations acting under the national law of any EU MED Member State or, with restrictions, under international law.
Project length is determined by the type of project. The forthcoming second call for Modular projects will allow 36 months and 48 months long projects.
The total budget for the 2014-2020 period amounts to €265 Mio, composed of €224 Mio ERDF (European Regional Development Fund), €9 Mio IPA (Instrument of Pre-Accession) and national co-funding.
More information regarding this fund can be found at http://interreg-med.eu/