EurOcean pays tribute to the legacy of its founder Prof. Mário Ruivo with an event in Brussels on 6 June 2018. Prof. Mário Ruivo made many key contributions to marine science and policy in Europe. Find out who he was from the people who knew him best and discover what he did for the Ocean. This includes Álvaro Garrido, a historian at the University of Coimbra, Maria Eduarda Gonçalves, his partner and a Professor at ISCTE - Lisbon University Institute), Telmo Carvalho (former EurOcean Executive-Director) and Ricardo Serrão Santos, MEP, among others. Furthermore the photo and video exhibition of the "I live by the Sea" International Youth Contest will be premiered at the event.
The event will comprise two segments:
- A conference with key presentations and talks about Prof. Mário Ruivo and his legacy. This session will be twofold. First, we will look back and present a retrospective on the life and work of this extraordinary man. In a second part the goal is to inspire everyone to continue where he stopped.
- An exhibition including the best photos from the I Live by the Sea competition, the highlights from EurOcean's International Children´s Art Contest, photographs from Prof. Mário Ruivo inaugural 1957 bathyscaphe submarine exploration off the coast of Portugal, and more.
The event's theme will be Ocean Literacy in a broad sense. It will acknowledge Prof. Mário Ruivo's contribution to our knowledge of the Ocean and approaches to improving its management. Mário was instrumental in ensuring that Lisbon hosted Expo 1998 – the central theme of which was The Oceans: A Heritage for the Future. Now twenty years later, we offer an occasion to reflect:
- How successful have we been in understanding Prof. Mário Ruivo's heritage?
- What new challenges is the ocean now facing?
- How and for what are we managing the Ocean?