Overview of MSP related maritime uses
- Current main uses:
- Mineral extraction
- Offshore renewable energy production
- Maritime traffic in Strait of Gibraltar
- High marine biodiversity in Alboran Sea under pressure from:
- land-based water discharges
- sand extractions (not Spain)
- Marine protected areas
- Underwater cultural heritage
- Maritime rescue
- Scientific research
- Future uses:
- Offshore renewable energy production (wind and wave)
Which maritime spatial plans exist?
There are currently no maritime spatial plans in existence in Spain.
- Spain adopted the Royal Decree 363/2017 of 8 April establishing a framework for maritime spatial planning, that transposes into Spanish legislation the Directive 2014/89/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council of 23 July.
- The Inter-Ministerial Commission on Marine Strategies (CIEM) was created in 2012 for coordinating the drafting, application and monitoring of marine environmental planning.
- Competencies on maritime and coastal affairs are shared between central and regional governments.
National MSP authority & Contact
Ministry of Ecological Transition
Sagrario Arrieta Algarra
Coordinadora de Área
División para la protección del Mar
D.G. Sostenibilidad de la Costa y del Mar
Ministerio de Transicion Ecologica (MITECO)
Pza. San Juan de la Cruz s/n, Desp A-810
Last Update 14.12.2018