Overview of MSP related maritime uses
- Current main uses:
- Mineral extraction
- Other activities: agriculture and food products industry, port and underwater construction, shipbuilding, manufacturing industry, petrochemical industry, refineries, oil plants activities, nuclear energy industry, windmills power plants installed only on the coast, airport and air transport functioning and improving, steel processing industry
- Future uses: increasing interest as energy hub
- Concerns: nature protection and recreation under the Habitats Directive
Which maritime spatial plans exist?
One regional and four local MSPs finalised till 2014 under ICZM principle (national law), no legislation in place.
1 regional plan (12-nm zone)
- Realized in the frame of the project PlanCoast, study case 12 NM, and annually improved by NIMRD (www.rmri.ro)
4 municipal local plans:
- Zonal Urbanistic Plan – Coastal Zone of southern sector – Cape Midia – Vama Veche with the Rule for the local urbanism
- General Urbanistic Plan of Constanta municipality, including Mamaia resort marine space
- General Urbanistic Plan of Mangalia City
- General Urbanistic Plan of Eforie cities
All coastal towns and villages have developed local plans for development.
All these plans are under public consultation stage; they are proposed under EU rules for ICZM.
Pilot plans for MSP also exist. Please see database for more detailed information.
MSP is not yet reflected in the current political legislation. Romania has an official framework for ICZM as support for the sustainable development of the coastal zone and a series of laws.
National MSP authority
Minister of Regional Development and Public Administration
General Department for Regional Development and Infrastructure
17, Apolodor, North Wing, Sector 5, Bucharest
Phone: +40 372 114 519, +40 752 196 153
Ministry of Environment, Waters and Forests with National Committee of Coastal Zone
Department for Water, Forests and Fisheries (DWFF)
B-dul Magheru nr. 31, Sector 1, 010325, Bucharest
Phone: +40 213 160 215, +40 213 194 609
Ministry of Transport with the Commission of Integrated Maritime Policy
Inter-ministerial committee for coordination of EU's Integrated Maritime Policy
Secretariat - DGSMAE and DN (Memorandum nr.20/9709/2009)
Bulevardul Dinicu Golescu 38, 010873, Sector 1, Bucharest, Romania
Phone: +40 213 196 124
Fax: +40 213 138 869
National Institute for Marine Research and Development
"Grigore Antipa" Constanta, Romania
Dr.ing. Mihaela Laurenta ALEXANDROV
Phone: +40 241 543 288
Last Update 03.09.2018