Supporting Maritime Spatial Planning in the Western Mediterranean region
SIMWESTMED is co-funded by the EC – DG Maritime Affairs and Fisheries (DG MARE) Call for Poposal EASME/EMFF/2015/184.108.40.206
Total project budget is 2.8 Million of Euro; 80% of the budget is funded by the EU.
SIMWESTMED focuses on two key objectives:
- Supporting the implementation of Maritime Spatial Planning in EU Member States;
- Launching and carry out concrete and cross-border MSP initiatives between Member States.
To address these objectives the activities undertaken will focuss on the following issues:
- Initial assessment
- Cooperation on MSP in Western Mediterranean
- MSP process
- Methodology for a transboundary MSP
- Spatial demands and future trends
- Data and information’s requirements for MSP.
- Tools and methods supporting MSP.
- Stakeholder’s engagement
SIMWESTMED will also address case studies on transboundary pilot sites.
SIMWESTMED involves the following partners:
- CEDEX – Study and Experimentation Centre, Spain
- CEREMA – Expertise Centre on Risks studies, Environment, Mobility and space planning, France
- CORILA – Consortium for coordination of research activities concerning the Venice lagoon system (Italy) ; embedding as associated partners: CNR-ISMAR National - Research Council, Institute of Marine Science (Italy), University IUAV of Venice (Italy)
- CPRM – Conference of Peripherical Maritime Regions;
- IEO – Oceanographic Institute (Spain);
- FBA – French Biodiversity Agency
- MATTM - Ministry of Environment, Protection of the Territories and the Sea (Italy);
- MEPA – Malta Environment and Planning Authority (Malta);
- MIT – Ministry of Infrastructure and Transport (Italy);
- Shom – French hydrographic office
- UNEP/MAP United Nations Environmental Programme, Barcelona Convention – Secretariat, Coordinating Unit for the Mediterranean Action Plan, embedding: INFO/RAC and PAP/RAC.